Aggregates from Stevenson Huntly Quarry have been a key part of the Solid Energy coal mining operation at Rotowaro over many years.

Stevenson supplies Soft Pit Run for the large coal stockpile laydown areas, and GAP 65 aggregate for construction of haul roads, necessary to safely support high capacity dump trucks transporting coal from the mine site to the washing and screening plants.

Rotowaro-coal-load out-stevenson-resource.jpg

Rotowaro Coal load out to rail and road truck

The Rotowaro Coalfield and Opencast Mine – the second largest opencast coal mine in New Zealand owned by Solid Energy – is located 10 km west of Huntly township, in the Waikato Region. It was first mined in 1915 after a branch railway and a bridge were constructed over the Waikato River. The present opencast mine opened in 1958.

The majority of Rotowaro coal goes by overland conveyor to Genesis Power Ltd’s Huntly Power Station and by rail to the New Zealand Steel Glenbrook steel mill. The remainder supplies North Island industrial and home heating markets.

Stevenson has been involved as a mining contractor in Waikato and Southland over many decades through its specialist business Stevenson Mining.  The company has recently won a 5 year mining contract with Solid Energy at Rotowaro for 2011-2016.  This includes overburden removal, coal extraction and processing, and the progressive rehabilitation of the mine site.